SDAI Project Space @ Horton Plaza
FREE Admission + All Ages
On View: 9.21.17 - 10.15.17 / 12 - 5pm Saturdays and Sundays
C. Ree will present a small show of individual + collaborative works developed during their residency program. Collaborative works will include projects with Reanne Estrada and with Super Futures Haunt Qollective.
C. Ree holds an MFA from the University of California, Irvine; she works in multiple genres, overlapping public performance, architecture, photography, video, and sculpture. Her work has been exhibited in galleries and museums across the world including at LACE and the Hongcheon Art Museum. She is a member of the Super Futures Haunt Collective, a queer indigenous feminist performance group which performs Visitations, a series of performances along the Northwestern coast on art practice, sovereignty, rage, and love. She is currently a Photography Instructor at MiraCosta College.
Series of works which C. Ree worked on during her SDAI residency
Some of the themes:
Colonialism and indigenous practices
Optical subversions and precarity
Language, loneliness, connectedness
1. EverlandLand project, including
a video exploring Balboa Park’s ill-fated 1915 lagoon, a Korean-speaking elephant in another cultural park far away, loneliness, aging and biological fantasy spaces.
a performance developed for Irrational Exhibits 10th Anniversary show at LACE.
a doubling-perspective periscope in which two viewers simultaneously see two perspectives
a glutinous suit, which invites viewers to “Take a selfie with your other selfie.”
Pink money for the lucky dream-buying project in a traditional market in Korea
Free printed matter about the project
* EverlandLand is a project in collaboration with Los Angeles artist Reanne Estrada
2. Work with Super Futures Haunt Qollective*
writing excerpts alongside one optical sculpture and a performance video
* SFHQ is a writing and research artist collective exploring land, queer and indigenous politics and includes F. Sam Jung, Angie Morrill (Klamath Tribes), and C. Ree
3. C. Ree Research wall and Cyclops’ Cave
- a research wall compiling images from C. Ree’s psychic interviews, articles on the uneasey relationship between the state and paranormal systems, colonialism’s counter narration of indigenous practices, the artist’s re-telling of the Cyclops’ mythology and the development of an avatar named Agent O.
Riot album – part of a series of pink money produced to buy and sell lucky dreams in a Korean traditional market
Doubling-perspective periscope – cardboard, vinyl, mirrors, floor stand – two viewers simultaneously see two perspectives. Developed for a performance for Irrational Exhibits 10th Anniversary show at LACE
Glutinous Pink Suit – Developed for a performance for Irrational Exhibits 10th Anniversary show at LACE. An earlier version was used for a performance in Balboa Park. Gallery visitors are invited to join Everland and “Take a selfie with your other selfie.”
Pink selfie - from @matchcuts
Cyclops Cave, or Home – a work-in-progress immersive installation bringing together Ree’s research on psychics, a reimagining of the Cyclops’ myth, and an avatar named Agent O. Includes audio interview with psychic, projection, sheepskins, mirrors and fans. This was also the artist’s residency studio.